Saturday 23 November 2013

Controversy Trails Iheanacho’s Europe Switch, the Youngster’s Father Say’s Son is Missing.

Following his superlative performance at the just- concluded FIFA under-17 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Kelechi, has been in the books of top European clubs. But, Kelechi’s father, James, has been left bemused, concerning the destination of his 17-year-old son, who reportedly is on his way to Portuguese club FC Porto. The player’s father believes football agents have taken him away without his own consent. “I don’t know the whereabouts of my son. I have not seen him for the past three days,” James said on Hot FM Owerri on Friday. According to an MTNFootball.com unconfirmed reports, two Golden Eaglets officials and a Portugal- based agent simply known as Graham may have taken the younger Iheanacho to Abuja to complete his move to Europe. Early in the week, Eaglets assistant coach Emmanuel Amuneke was reported to have slapped a FIFA agent, Henry Gallliano, in Owerri in the earliest controversy stemming up from the player’s move to Europe. But the former Nigeria international has now denied the reports and insists he never slapped the American. “I neither assaulted nor slapped Galliano,” Amuneke told supersport.com. “”We had a heated argument over the future of Iheanacho and that was it. He (Galliano) was insulting my nation, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and our philosophies in Nigeria and I told him that.” “He was insulting me so I went up to him, pushed him away and told him to stop harassing me.” It is believed that the rift between Amuneke and Galliano was generated over Iheanacho’s choice of agent, after which the former Super Eagles forward extricated himself of blame. “I have no business with whoever Kelechi picks as his agent. It’s not my job. I am a coach,” he added. “If he (Kelechi) wants my advise on how to shape his career, I will be here as a father to help him but that is where it ends.” Meanwhile Graham, which Iheanacho has possibly traveled with to Abuja alongside the two Eaglets officials, was behind the summer transfer of Nigeria U-20 midfielder Chidi Osuchukwu to another Portuguese outfit, Sporting Braga.

No comments: