Sunday 10 November 2013

The Brazilian won a penalty in injury time to deny West Brom three points at Stamford Bridge but insists it is not in his character to cheat Ramires has hit back at accusations that he dived to win Chelsea’s penalty in their 2-2 draw with West Brom on Saturday. Samuel Eto’s opener was overturned by goals from Shane Long and Stephane Sessegnon to put Steve Clarke’s men on course for an upset at Stamford Bridge. But in injury time, the Brazilian won a spot kick, which Eden Hazard converted, following a collision with Steven Reid inside the box. "I have never used diving to win fouls or penalties. It's not my character, and those who know me know it very well,” Ramires told ESPN Brazil. Clarke criticised referee Andre Marriner’s decision to award the penalty and claimed Ramires was already falling to the ground before contact was made by Reid. “I’m flabbergasted at the decision, I can’t believe he gave it but I can’t change it,” said the West Brom boss. "I've been in the game a long time and I knew when [Ramires] went down that he was already on the way down before anyone was near him. "The referee has to be 100 per cent sure it's a penalty. How he can be 100 per cent sure in that instance is beyond me. It was a bad decision.”

No comments: