Saturday 15 March 2014

Father Tells D’banj: ‘When I Was Your Age Mate, I Was Married And I Already Had You’

Afrobeats star D’banj has revealed that
his father is not happy about his music
career.
Even though the Nigerian star enjoyed
international success with his 2012 smash
hit Oliver Twist and has sold over 11
million albums in his career, he revealed
that his dad remains concerned that a
career in music isn’t sustainable.
“’Don’t do music’ is what my father told
me,” D’banj told The Voice.
“Even now, he says to me: ‘Are you sure
this music thing is right for you?’”
Asked what career path his father would
have preferred for him, D’banj, who
released his first hit Tongolo in 2004,
said: “Any other thing apart from music!
My father is so quiet and reserved,
whereas music puts you right out there.
“He knows that fame can destroy things
and he worries about me sustaining
success.
“He also says: ‘When I was your age, I
was married and I already had you! When
are you going to settle down?’’
Still, the singer-songwriter says that
settling down isn’t part of his immediate
plan.
“I think I want to get a Grammy first! But
if an angel should pass, I might just be
distracted!”

No comments: