Saturday 1 March 2014

'So Called Man of God In Abuja, (COZA Pastor Biodun) Rejected Me Because of a Scandal' - Singer Kefee

Gospel singer Kefee, in a chat with
Encomium Magazine while trying to
defend her Kokoroko song with secular
singer Tamara, told this interesting story
of her experience with Ese Walter's COZA
pastor, Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo. Please
read:
You started out as a traditional gospel
singer, along the line your deviated.
Would we say you re-branded?
If you have my album or albums, you
would know that I am doing same kind of
music, but different genres. For instance,
the kind of songs in Branama 1 is the
same with other songs, but with improved
production and vocals.
Some people were not happy because
you featured Timaya in Kokoroko and
he’s a secular singer. How would you
react to that?
Before I react to that question, let me tell
you this short true story. In 2008, I was
invited to perform at a church (name
withheld) in Abuja for the second time.
The publicity for the show was massive,
they had distributed invitation card to
guests, people were even calling to
confirm if I was going to perform. In fact,
I got copies of the flyers weeks before the
show.
I was getting ready to go to the airport
when I got a call from the pastor’s P.A,
asking if I had seen a certain newspaper’s
story about me. I said yes, it was a
scandal. And he said they don’t want to
have anything to do with me because of
that scandal. Besides, he added that they
have top government officials who
worship in their church, and all sort. I
said ok, but the so-called senior pastor,
who called me initially to plead with me to
accept a certain amount because it was a
new church couldn’t call me anymore, he
had to send his P.A to tell me that. He
didn’t care what happened to me, if it
was true what said about me by an angry,
bitter man. I felt really low not because I
didn’t do the show but because they
cared less what happened to me, because
that would have been the end of my
career.#
Now, I called Timaya. We met at a
studio somewhere in Festac town,
and Timaya asked me about the
same scandal. And he told me what
I expected a man of God would’ve
told me. I remember, he said to me:
“Don’t worry, if your hands are
clean, you will see God turn things
around for you. God will help you,
my sister.”
I say this in all sobriety, after which we
recorded Kokoroko. When Kokoroko came
out and Timi (Dakolo) listened to it, he
said “Kefee, you dey make me like God in
a different way.”
Now, you tell me, who acted like a good
human? Who would have ever thought
that the so-called man of God, who now
has his share of scandal and is still
planning a robust reply would act that
weird? So, when I heard people talking
about me featuring Timaya, it sounded
funny. God can use anything, anybody.
Music is an art that transcends all. Timaya
was good for that song and he delivered,
that’s what matters to me. I don’t judge
people. If he was a doctor, you won’t say
he shouldn’t treat you because he isn’t a
Christian. It won’t matter then. All you
would want is have him do his job and
that was what he did. He did a good job
on that song you can’t deny that. And to
me, that’s what counts.
Many people have criticized you
because of your way of dressing, saying
that it is not Christ-like. How would
you react to that?
Really? I dress the way I like, I like my
African print and again, everyone can’t
like every style or design. So, that’s
acceptable.

No comments: